I’m looking for a word that describes your state when something is not how you expected it to be. Not in a pleasant way but the opposite.

Is baffled appropriate? But I think baffled doesn’t really show any emotion but just a sense of confusion. Also baffled expresses in a large quantity. I want something of less magnitude.

I don’t want to express something mysterious. It's like I expected something and I got it. But with something else that I don’t like. If that makes any sense.

I want to use it in a sentence like this one:

The overall experience was a pleasant one, don’t get me wrong. But a few things _________ me and made me wonder if it's the harsh truth.

  • Baffled does not imply excitement, but it does imply puzzlement. May 24 at 13:18
  • 1
    @KateBunting Ok. I get it. But still, it has a neutral tone to it. I want a little... umm... disappointing tone
    – WhySee
    May 24 at 13:31
  • There's a whole bunch of words for this. Try discombobulated is you want to sound fancy. Basically you want to say ... upset me and... Another word is disconcert. May 24 at 13:32
  • Ahh... That's it. Discombobulated. That's the word I was looking for. Thanks a lot.
    – WhySee
    May 24 at 13:34
  • I'll make an answer myself. That's what you gotta do if you find the answer, isn’t it?
    – WhySee
    May 24 at 13:35

I would suggest "I had a few misgivings about it". This doesn't imply that you were puzzled or confused, just that the experience was not entirely a positive one.

  • Thanks :). About discombobulated, is it used in a comical sense?
    – WhySee
    May 24 at 13:54
  • @Apoorv, I would say so.
    – randomhead
    May 24 at 17:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.