enter image description here

Is it called a hinge? Because when I look up hinge, I get something that looks completely different:

enter image description here

So what do you call the thing that let it go up and down? And what do you describe the metallic part that moves because of the hinge? Is there a more generic term? In this case, it's a visor, but what's the generic word for something that moves because of a hinge?

2 Answers 2


You're right, "hinge" doesn't quite fit. This is called a pivot:

a fixed point supporting something that turns or balances

Here's an example sentence from the Wikipedia page for armet:

The typical armet consisted of four pieces: the skull, the two large hinged cheek-pieces which locked at the front over the chin, and a visor which had a double pivot, one either side of the skull.


It can be called a hinge, pivot, joint, or articulation. Those all mean basically the same thing, but with slightly different connotations. As you mention, "hinge" is associated with joining things like doors, the top of a chest, etc. While the hinge you found looks different from the pivots on the helmets, it's the same basic structure.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .