enter image description here

What do you call the large piece of leather worn around the waist like a belt in a kimono? I couldn't find the term for it. Is there a word for this?

  • 1
    It is called an obi, if it is Japanese. We just say a "heavy duty leather belt" but they look nothing like an obi and are generally used by workmen.
    – Lambie
    Commented May 29, 2021 at 16:18
  • 2
    The belt in a kimono is not made of leather, it is made of cloth (perhaps silk)
    – James K
    Commented May 29, 2021 at 16:55
  • 2
    An similar article of clothing in the world of Western is a cummerbund.
    – randomhead
    Commented May 29, 2021 at 17:30

1 Answer 1


You might be referring to a kidney belt or weightlifting belt:

enter image description here

(Image source: Wikipedia)

These are worn by weightlifters and people whose job involves heavy lifting to prevent hernias. They're worn by motorcycle riders as a back support. In my experience weightlifters more often use a leather belt while motorcylcists more often wear a nylon and plastic belt.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .