I'd like to know the exact word in English for the agricultural machine for digging and cleaning ditches (to facilitate the flow of water). I think bulldozer is not the right one for this.

  • You dig a ditch by hand or with an earth moving machine: an excavator.
    – Lambie
    Jun 4, 2021 at 19:56
  • 1
    Can you give us a picture of one? There's many machines for digging and cleaning ditches.
    – gotube
    Jun 4, 2021 at 20:35

1 Answer 1


I would probably use one of these to dig or maintain a ditch. In Britain, we might call such a machine more formally, a mechanical excavator or mechanical digger, or less formally, just a 'digger'. The first well known British digger was made in the 1950s by a company called JCB, and many British people still call a digger of any make a 'JCB'. I believe Americans would call one of these machines a 'backhoe'.

enter image description here

  • 1
    Concur, "excavator" or "backhoe" are the American terms.
    – randomhead
    Jun 4, 2021 at 21:37
  • @randomhead, you may post it as an answer
    – E Zhang
    Jun 6, 2021 at 22:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .