I know "research works" does not make sense. (I think I heard "works" is only used for art pieces.)

The problem is that I want to use "research work" to indicate multiple research articles. Can I simply assume it's a collective noun and make a sentence like this?

The early research work focus on ...

1 Answer 1


Yes and No

Early research work focused on....

"The" may or may not be correct dependent on context.

“Works” has a different meaning. It is used to describe construction or engineering projects.

E.g.: There are traffic jams all over the city due to the road works in the centre. Works on the bridge were delayed by 4 weeks due to bad weather. The Works were signed off 6 months after the Completion Date.

So you should never use “works” to describe the work you do when you’re sitting at a desk.

Ref Works

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .