enter image description here

What is a common general term to refer to a man with large strong muscle?

For example, "he is very muscly" or "he is well-built".

He may or may not go to the gym. Maybe, he was born that way.

  • 1
    Adjectives - built, ripped, in shape, musclebound. Jun 23, 2021 at 15:58
  • 1
    Many more terms have an additional implication... of attractiveness (hunk, beefcake), sport (jock, athletic-build), disposition/intelligence (himbo, meathead, bruiser), and overall size (giant, absolute unit, thick).
    – wetcircuit
    Jun 23, 2021 at 16:43
  • "Built like a brick shithouse" is my dad's favourite :)
    – gotube
    Jun 24, 2021 at 1:29
  • My favorite is "chiseled" (as in from stone, like a statue).
    – TypeIA
    Jun 24, 2021 at 15:14

1 Answer 1


You could refer to such a man as husky, burly, thickset, beefy, brawny.

The online dictionary is a useful source to find good synonyms, with clickable links to their meanings. See the definition of muscular

  • Welcome to English Language Learners! While this may be correct, we like our answers to be backed up by references. You can edit your answer to include one (e.g. an online dictionary). See the Help Center article How to Answer.
    – Glorfindel
    Jun 23, 2021 at 20:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .