What adjective do you use for research carried out within the humanities? I've tried to consult dictionaries and google, but I only get more confused... so, if I want to use an adjective + noun to express 'research in the humanities', what should I use? Humanistic research? Humanist research? Humanities research? Or something else entirely?

As always I'm very grateful for your help!

1 Answer 1


Humanities research is fairly common and definitely understandable.

Here are some published examples:

Data and its technologies now play a large and growing role in humanities research and teaching.

The Shape of Data in Digital Humanities

The volume explores the intra- and extra-academic engagement of humanities researchers

Mapping Frontier Research in the Humanities

Humanities research often involves an individual professor researching in a library in order to write a book.

How is humanities research conducted?

Humanist research is more typically research that is conducted by Humanists, or which aims to promote Humanism.

Rome was an early center of humanist research and, during the second half of the fifteenth century, numerous Latin comedies and tragedies were being staged...

A Cultural History of Theatre in the Early Modern Age

Humanist education research is centrally concerned with promoting equity and social justice through research relationships. Humanist research takes as its starting point the dignity and humanity of all people.

The Wiley Handbook of Ethnography of Education

It appears the humanistic research is used occasionally, though far less often than humanities research: ngram

  • What an absolutely wonderful answer!!! Thank you so much!
    – Helen
    Jun 23, 2021 at 18:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .