Is there in english a word connotating the idea ''try to tackle a difficult problem once more''? The word I want has meaning more than simply ''try again''.

Much appreciated!

  • Some context would probably be helpful.
    – Dangph
    Jul 14 '14 at 16:35

I am not sure about a single word, but some phrases you could use:

Make another attempt.
Work harder to solve ...


Take another stab at it.
Give it another go.


I would like to suggest the phrase "to reengage the problem."


How about persevere:

to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult (Merriam-Webster Online)

Note that persevere can also be used for continuous successful (but difficult) action, rather than just repeated unsuccessful attempts, but I would say it definitely meets your needs.


I've just heard this expression at BBC Radio 4:

To emphasize the hardness of the task, one may add an adjective before cherry, such as tough, hard.

Let's have a second bite at this tough cherry.

Or, to substitue the word cherry with something a bit tougher. Say, borrow from the idiom 'a hard nut to crack'.

Let's have a second bite at this hard nut, hope it will crack this time.

P.S. Personally I like Obfuskater's reengage: the word has military connotations ("engage the enemy") and thus seems to imply hardness.


In English, we have a prefix to describe a verb as being retried

Retry is the word you are looking for

Other examples of using this prefix:

  • Re-learn
  • Re-send
  • Re-run (as in televison, or running cables)
  • Re-live

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.