When I say “we’re staying at his/hers”, it means that we’re staying at his or her home. Can I say “we’re staying at mine” which I refer to my home?

  • 2
    The common way to say this is "we're staying at my place".
    – fev
    Commented Jul 14, 2021 at 14:19
  • 3
    Where can you say "I'm staying at his" instead of I'm staying with him/at his place? This must be a local expression somewhere. Commented Jul 14, 2021 at 14:20
  • 1
    Thinking about it, I might say "We're staying at mine" in very casual speech, but I cannot justify its use in good written English.
    – randomhead
    Commented Jul 14, 2021 at 14:42
  • 5
    @randomhead - this usage - 'mine' meaning 'my place', 'my home', 'my gaff' etc is very very common in UK relaxed speech, especially among younger folk (say under 40). Also yours, his, hers, etc. In fact it seems to be a meme: '“So we meet for pre-drinks at mine, head over to Acme, then drinks at the Spaniard and maybe if we are feeling wiiiiild head over to Brooklyn?”' - seems they say it in the US too. Commented Jul 14, 2021 at 14:56
  • 1
    @MichaelHarvey I've never heard it in the US. I don't make claims to be some kind of ultimate authority on recent slang and usage, of course! - but I've never run into it here. I did find one very formal discussion of the construction, and one informal mention of it as a British thing that tripped up an American.
    – stangdon
    Commented Jul 14, 2021 at 15:18

1 Answer 1


In American English, it is most commonly "my place."

In British English, it is often "mine."

There is some regional variation on that as well.

You must log in to answer this question.