I think humming is when we produce a sound to sing with our mouths closed, but sometimes we do it with our mouths open like in:

"Love is in the air ahh ah ahhh aha."

Humming would be like:

"Love is in the air hmmm hmmm mmm mm."

Is there a verb for this?


Two words for singing without words are vocalise and scat.

The are explained at length (with links to examples) here:

Quora.com sing-without-words

The dictionaries I looked at show a verb sense for scat, but only the noun sense for vocalise.

(Note that this sense of vocalise is pronounced differently than vocalise as the British spelling of vocalize - see American Heritage Dictionary vocalise)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .