Is there a word for saying that I have found another different interest unexpectedly? Suppose that I was interested in say, Biology yesterday but today when I dabbled in Chemistry it also caught my interest (: made me interested) and therefore I got interested in Chemistry unexpectedly. Is there an expression for that?

In my own research I found stumble on Chemistry but most dictionaries say that that is more of discovering something than becoming interested in something (Merriam Webster).

Is there any expression for what I am intending to say?

  • Chemistry engrossed you or caught/grabbed your interest/attention.
    – Void
    Jul 27 at 6:54

You can discover new interests by accident, so to "stumble on" something works.

The dictionary page you've linked to says:

to find or learn about (something) unexpectedly

which describes finding a new interest when you didn't expect it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.