What are golf ball holes called? I thought the word for it was pot, but pot refers to pot bunkers which are sandy area in a golf course. Is there a better word for "golf ball holes"?

1 Answer 1


If you mean the hole that the ball goes into, it's usually just called a "hole", like the 9th hole. Maybe "golf hole" if you really need to make it clear. Never "golf ball hole".

  • 1
    The thing the ball goes into is called a cup. The part of the course leading up to a particular cup is called a hole, as you say. And the balls have dimples. Aug 14, 2021 at 16:03
  • Oh yeah, cup is another useful word to describe the physical object. I don't think it's universal, though. Aug 14, 2021 at 23:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .