I am writing an academic piece of work

The theme is: C= A - B. After laws, both A and B decrease while C insignificantly change (in another word, C stays the same).

So, can I write: "The insignificant change in C is caused by the offset forces between the decrease in A and B after laws" ?

  • 1
    I suggest that you remove the words "improve the sentence" from your question, as this is outside the scope of this site. The rest of your question is OK, as it is a specific question about usage of the word offset.
    – JavaLatte
    Commented Aug 16, 2021 at 3:49
  • question edited, thank @JavaLatte Commented Aug 16, 2021 at 4:36
  • 1
    I'd only change your sentence to say, "... is caused by the offsetting forces...". I'm unclear what "after laws" means, so I hope it's academic speak that makes sense in the context.
    – gotube
    Commented Aug 17, 2021 at 1:23

1 Answer 1


Check out the examples in the Cambridge dictionary. If one change cancels out another, the normal way to say this is to say "is offset by". For your sentence, you would say something like:

The decrease in A is offset by the decrease in B, resulting in a very small change in C.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .