You know barometer, manometer, thermometer, voltmeter, which are all instruments for making measurements.

I'd like to know whether there's a -meter for length measurement. Like distancemeter, lengthmeter or maybe even metermeter.

I am aware that we have words like folding rule, caliper gauge, micrometer gauge and coordinate measurement machine, but I'm specifically looking for a -meter kind of word for making a point in a Youtube video where I explain the word meter in general (and of course compare it to the standalone meter which is for the unit).

  • 1
    Don't forget that in British English, "meter" always means a measuring device, because the unit of length is spelled "metre". (Also, you've just reminded me that I need to read my gas and electricity meters!)
    – IMSoP
    Sep 9 '21 at 21:08

The device fitted to vehicles that displays distance traveled on the dashboard is called an odometer.

This is also called a mileometer (or milometer) in British English, where miles are the standard measurement for speed and distance on roads.

A manual device for measuring distances, usually called a 'measuring wheel' or a 'surveyor's wheel', is also known as an 'hodometer'.

  • 1
    Thanks. Someone with a wiktionary account might want to add that in -meter. Sep 9 '21 at 19:27
  • @ThomasWeller I don't think that is meant to be an exhaustive list. Also, I found you another word. We used to use 'hodometers' at school for measuring land in Geography class. Apparently, this is also the original word for an odometer.
    – Astralbee
    Sep 9 '21 at 19:36
  • 1
    The wiktionary list is definitely neither exhaustive nor intended to be, but that said, odometer is a lot more common in usage than a lot of the other terms on that list, so I went ahead and added it. Milometer and hodometer are derivatives of odometer, so I'd rather not clutter the list. Sep 9 '21 at 23:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .