Do we use "fade" to ask someone to move slightly to their right side? The sentence is: "Fade 20 degrees to your right".

The context: The a woman's monitoring the screen to guide a man. And she said to the man: "Fade 20 degrees to your right."

Please kindly help me.

Thank you!

  • Can you provide a link to the source?
    – Katy
    Oct 1, 2021 at 4:54
  • Hi Katy, it's not online so perhaps the full conversation would help you understand. I'll see you both soon. Okay, I'm reading you both. Keep straight ahead. Fade 20 degrees to your right. Hey, you're a little loose. Tighten up. Oct 1, 2021 at 4:58
  • Is this in the context of flying an aircraft or something?
    – Kreiri
    Oct 1, 2021 at 5:37
  • Yeah, she's on the aircraft and guide the man outside through monitor. Oct 1, 2021 at 7:34
  • 2
    This is technical jargon then. It'd take someone knowledgeable in that field to say what it means.
    – gotube
    Oct 2, 2021 at 0:32

1 Answer 1


This meaning of "fade" is used in a military, aeronautical, or nautical context. If the woman and man in your example are members of the military, or a spy organization, or a criminal organization, or if the speaker intends to imitate the speech patterns of one of the above, than the usage would be appropriate.

"Fade" is generally never used in this way when in non-militaristic contexts.

  • So what does it mean? Oct 1, 2021 at 8:48
  • This sounds more like a comment than an answer
    – gotube
    Oct 2, 2021 at 0:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .