I have two objects (not people) that should not touch each other and so I need to verify that the distance between the first object and the second object is greater than a certain threshold.

I can generically speak about their distance but I would like to use a more specific word and after some research I found separation and clearance: what is the best?


It depends on the context, but I would use gap

Example: "Please ensure a gap between the the TV and the wall"

Clearance is also fine, but it is more of an engineering term

  • 2
    To me clearance sounds natural too, but implies movement — i.e. I'd leave a gap if placing the TV next to the wall, but I'd allow 6in clearance if moving the TV through a door. Oct 13 at 10:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .