Is there a short expression for a teacher that teaches to his/her pupils in their homes, as opposed to in a classroom ?

My guess would be home teacher but I'm not sure (it is unclear if home refers to the teacher's home or his pupils)

1 Answer 1


In the UK, the most common term would be "private tutor". They might also be called a "home tutor" or possibly "personal tutor", but the teaching could be in any setting, not just a personal home. Being taught individually by a professional but not in a school setting is nearly always referred to as "private tuition".

'Tutor' tends to be preferred over 'teacher' when the training is personal, tailored to the individual.

  • 1
    By default, AmE results dominate NGram queries, but when I look for all 6 permutations of a home tutor,a personal tutor,a private tutor,a home teacher,a personal teacher,a private teacher (link too long for a comment), a private tutor is way out in front, with everything else except a private teacher effectively "flatlining" by comparison. Oct 13, 2021 at 14:15
  • And as a note about varying usage, in the US "tuition" is limited to fees and has nothing to do with actual instruction. Oct 13, 2021 at 17:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .