You watch a film.

In the film, there is a little girl lost his parents and now she becomes an orphan.

Is it correct to say

I was so moved/emotional/ etc that I burst out crying when watching that film?

What is the correct adjective to express that you feel sympathy for people in a movie that you burst out crying?

  • 4
    moved and emotional are fine. Also you can rephrase slightly to use different forms of descriptive text: The the movie was so poignant / touching / emotional / emotive / moving [that it brought tears to my eyes], for example. Oct 15, 2021 at 12:19
  • 2
    ...such movies are called tearjerkers or weepies. Oct 15, 2021 at 12:23
  • 4
    (It's her parents, by the way.) You can also say that the film reduced you to tears. Oct 15, 2021 at 12:37
  • 1
    You can also say the film is heart-tugging, or that it tugs at your heartstrings (which means it stirs your emotions).
    – Enguroo
    Oct 16, 2021 at 3:39

1 Answer 1


I was moved to tears.

I was so moved that I burst into tears.

It was so moving that I started crying.

It made me very emotional.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .