Can anyone please tell me what is the exact word for this type of arrangement to tie a horse? Or is it just called a stable?

Horse tied to a brach

[Image source: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/a1hcyo/am_i_the_only_one_annoyed_that_the_arabian_horse/]


1 Answer 1


Merriam-Webster calls this a

a fixed horizontal rail to which a horse or team can be fastened to prevent straying

Sometimes also called a

hitching rail

Please see Every equestrian needs to know how to tie a horse safely

  • 14
    Also called a hitching post.
    – eps
    Oct 17, 2021 at 19:26
  • I would probably say, “hitch (or tie) to a post.” But I don’t have a lot of experience with horses.
    – Davislor
    Oct 17, 2021 at 21:35
  • 6
    A stable is a building where horses sleep. It is not a small thing you tie a horse to.
    – Robyn
    Oct 18, 2021 at 0:16
  • 2
    @eps, wouldn't a "hitching post" lack the rail? And be just a 'post'?
    – Jontia
    Oct 18, 2021 at 7:12
  • 2
    The linked article also shows a "hitching ring". So it looks like in general a "thing" intended to have a horse tied to it is a "hitching thing". Oct 18, 2021 at 8:44

You must log in to answer this question.