I need the title for someone whose work it is to give students advice about what courses to study in order to qualify for a certain job – I have found some support for both study counsellor and student counsellor on different universities' websites and the like, however, I get the impression that rather than being two names for the same thing, the latter – student counsellor – refers to someone lending emotional support/helping students who suffer from anxiety or depression or the like, rather than giving career advice. Am I right about this, or are study counsellor and student counsellor both used for someone giving career advice?

  • 1
    Are you using British or American English? Because in AmE, it's counselor. lso commonly known as a guidance counselor, provides students with academic, career, and college advice, as well as personal and social guidance. This can be accomplished through group counseling or individual counseling. Counselors also assist with annual academic planning for each student. This guide provides further information on what school counselors do, how to become one, [...] teachercertificationdegrees.com/careers/school-counselor
    – Lambie
    Nov 18, 2021 at 20:50
  • @Lambie British English :)
    – Helen
    Nov 18, 2021 at 22:35

1 Answer 1


A "careers adviser" would be my preferred term.

Student counsellors give advice on student wellbeing (such as dealing with anxiety). "Study counsellor" is not a term I recognise. I see it used mostly on Scandinavian websites as a synonym for "student counsellor"

However "Careers adviser" is recognised job. They give advise to students on how to attain a particular goal give training on (for example) how to write a letter of application, and advice on which courses to follow to qualify for a particular job.

  • What is a 'councellor'? Nov 18, 2021 at 20:56
  • 1
    Bad spellificiation!!"
    – James K
    Nov 18, 2021 at 21:02
  • 2
    I thought it might be Swedish English. Nov 18, 2021 at 21:06
  • Excellent answer as always – thanks!
    – Helen
    Nov 18, 2021 at 22:22
  • @MichaelHarvey Haha first I thought it was me who had misspelt... (I'm Swedish)
    – Helen
    Nov 18, 2021 at 22:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .