How do you pronounce numbers like








  • 2
    In what context?
    – user230
    Commented Jul 30, 2014 at 23:04
  • 1
    As snailplane notes, they may be pronounced differently depending on where you see them. 1846 could be the year eighteen forty-six or the Year of Our Lord eighteen hundred and forty-six; part number one-eight-four-six; or one thousand eight hundred [and] forty-six sheets of paper.
    – choster
    Commented Jul 30, 2014 at 23:55
  • Assuming basic math with whole numbers, here is a link that will give the formal American English pronunciation -- webmath.com/saynum.html Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 16:17

2 Answers 2


I recently mentioned answer to a similar question that in some parts of the English speaking world, people say 'and' after 'hundred':

375: three hundred and seventy five

1846: one thousand eight hundred and forty six


Even if the 'and' is as small as 'n': three hundred'n seventy five

  • +1 As a U.S. speaker, is very common here to say and when pronouncing the final "ones" column. When speaking more informally (e.g. three hundred seventy five), the "and" can be omitted, but is often implied. Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 0:26
  • 1
    When I was in elementary school our teacher taught us that saying and in the whole number portion was flat-out wrong- one thousand eight hundred forty six. The and is used to include a fractional component- "and five eighths" Everybody says and but thought I'd at least point out that it's not universally accepted.
    – Jim
    Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 4:03
  • what about millions numbers.. how many Ands will be there? .e.g .. 3719738 .. will it be " three million and seven hundred nineteen thousands and seven hundred and thirty eight ?
    – Jocka.M
    Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 6:23
  • @Anaksunaman: In my experience, we only use an and for the ones column if there is a zero in the tens column. 307 could be "three hundred seven" or "three hundred and seven", but 548 is never "five hundred forty and eight" (though it could perhaps be "five hundred and forty-eight"). Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 6:40
  • @NateEldrige Yes. "Three hundred seven" (good), "Three hundred seven and seven-eighths" (good), "Three hundred and seven" (informal but acceptable to most). I have never heard "five hundred forty and eight" either. Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 9:23

It's very easy.

You just say how many thousands followed by the word "thousand", so if you have 300 * 1000 then you just say

three hundred thousand

You do the exact same thing for millions and up.

If you don't have a clean number of thousands, then just say the remainder after that like normal. here are some examples:

  • 375: Three hundred seventy five

  • 1846: one thousand eight hundred fourty six.

  • 12361: twelve thousand three hundred sixty one.

  • 1326528: one million three hundred twenty six thousand five hundred twenty eight


  • it would be helpful if continue to say all examples especially those high numbers .. Thanks!
    – Jocka.M
    Commented Jul 31, 2014 at 6:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .