Rent: paying money for using someone's property What verb means: getting money to allow someone to use your property?

Added later when received an answer for British: I am asking about American English

1 Answer 1


(British) The landlord lets their property.

You can also use "leases" or (American) "rents out".

In fact "rent" is also used to mean "to get money": "The old lady rented me her her spare bedroom."

So in American English "rent" can mean both pay and get money.

I rented the apartment from the lady, and she rented it to me.

There is also a technical difference between "let" and "lease", but you'd need to be a property lawyer to understand it.

  • What about American English?
    – Sus20200
    Dec 16, 2021 at 6:45
  • "rent out" is probably fine.
    – James K
    Dec 16, 2021 at 6:47
  • Definitely rent out or just rent. I'm so sorry English is like this. Dec 16, 2021 at 7:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .