Some adhesive bandages come in small sterile wrappers like the one shown on the top of the image below. What word is used to name this type of packaging, either technically or colloquially? (Of course, if there is a word for that).

For example, how would a native speaker rephrase the following sentences?

She was holding a [plaster in sterile packaging] in her hand.

Company X manufactures [the sterile packagings] for BAND-AID.


  • 2
    In the image it is called packaging.
    – mdewey
    Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 14:40
  • 1
    That is a band-aide (US) or sticking plaster (UK) shown with its wrapper.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 18:45
  • 1
    @Lambie - band-aides are always helpful e.g. for carrying the tuba and trumpets. Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 18:49
  • @MichaelHarvey Whoops, band-aids.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 18:55

2 Answers 2


I think most people (in the UK, at least) would say "[She was] holding a [sticking] plaster in her hand", leaving the listener to assume that it was still in its package unless specified otherwise.

I would call the container a package or wrapper.

  • 1
    As a Canadian, +1 for wrapper. To me, "package" would imply the box the bandages were sold in.
    – Scott
    Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 14:22
  • Note that in the US, the inner part would be called a "bandage". I know the term "sticking plaster" only from fiction by UK authors, and I thought it was obsolete even there, but perhaps not. That term would not be understood by many native US speakers. On the question, I also would favor 'wrapper'. I do not know of any specialized term for the wrapper over a bandage. Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 16:39
  • @DavidSiegel it is still current in the UK. Many people also call them elastoplasts although that is actually a trade name and in any event the ones in the image are Band-Aids
    – mdewey
    Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 16:48
  • Yes, I thought it was different in the USA, and I agree with Scott about package. To me, a bandage is something you can tie! Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 17:05
  • In the US, this is generally known as a band-aid, after the brand name, for sticking plaster, UK. The object is also a band-aid and the outside of it is the wrapper, yes. There is no package here at all.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jan 17, 2022 at 18:42

Colloquially it is unlikely that there is any need to mention that the wrapping is sterile, and often you don't need to mention the wrapping at all.

So the first one I'd phrase as:

She was holding a plaster in its wrapper in her hand.

And I'd omit "in its wrapper" and "in her hand" unless it was specifically relevant.

For the company that makes specifically sterile wrappers:

Company X manufactures sterile protective wrappers for Band-Aid.

Though I suspect that the wrappers are made simultaneously with the plasters.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .