I want to cook this dish

-fish/ meat/ chicken/ beef etc was cut into pieces

-put the pieces into a pot

-pour just a little oil in the pot

-pour some Asian soy sauce or fish sauce in (I don't pour water in)

-cook it slowly in low or medium temperature until the meat/fish/beef/chicken etc becomes sticky like this

This is a fish stew/soup/casserole ...???

enter image description here


This is a meat stew/soup/casserole ...???

enter image description here

I don't know which word I should use!!

For example, a meat/fish/chicken... stew/soup/casserole...

or "braised meat/fish/chicken..."?

What do you say this dish in everyday English?

  • You should know better to eliminate "soup" from the options. Soup can be thick but it is never eaten with a fork or with chopsticks.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 6:40
  • 2
    It sounds like what my Chinese cookbooks call 'red-cooked' or 'red-braised' meat. I suppose the nearest equivalent in European cookery would be 'braised'.A stew/casserole has plenty of liquid so that the food doesn't dry out. Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 8:48

1 Answer 1


That looks like "teriyaki". The top certainly looks like a salmon teriyaki. The sauce is slightly sweet, and gets shiny when reduced.

Food names are very culturally specific and the names for specific dishes get borrowed from one language or another. This particular borrowing comes from Japanese, but you will find that "chow mein", "bhuna" "coq-au-vin" and "sauerkraut" are all English words (borrowed from around the world)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .