I tried google translate with no luck. This may be a translation of a word only a person who has spent time on a farm would know. When a cow gives birth to a calf there is a type milk that the calf has to drink soon after birth. It has a yellow tint to it and contains the antibodies that are crucial to the calfs survival. This is also consider to be a truly remarkable type of milk. In Afrikaans this yellow milk is called bies. I was wondering what the English version of this word was?

  • 1
    Have you tried searching for calf first milk with a web search engine of your choice?
    – Kreiri
    Commented Apr 1, 2022 at 20:11

1 Answer 1


Humans have this kind of milk too, it's called colostrum.

There is another word, "beestings" in the dictionary. I'd not heard this word, but it seems to be more agricultural than medical. It's clearly cognate with the Afrikaans word. It seems more common in Irish dialects.

  • Humans, and also every other mammal produce colostrum.
    – Juhasz
    Commented Apr 1, 2022 at 20:30
  • Well, I'm neither Irish nor from a farming background, but I immediately thought of beestings, a word I knew from general reading. Commented Apr 2, 2022 at 7:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .