Let's say I buy a bunch of fruits like bananas or something soft and put them in a bag. By the time I take them out of the bag they have been spoiled because I pressed my back against the bag when I was travelling.

What would I call these fruits (or the state they are in)? The closest word I came up with was squeeze, but it does not apply here.


You could say squashed, squished, mushed, or bruised (such as spots that appear on an apple where it has hit the ground).

  • 5
    +1 for bruised; I have a feeling that's the word the O.P. might be looking for, particularly if the bananas are imagined to look like these (or maybe this apple, or this peach).
    – J.R.
    Feb 25 '13 at 21:39
  • 2
    Also pulped, and the resultant mess can be called pulp. Feb 25 '13 at 23:37
  • 1
    @FumbleFingers It would have to be extreme crushing to be called pulped, I think. The other words don't imply such an extreme. Mar 26 '14 at 9:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.