Let's say I buy some fruit like bananas or something soft and put them in a bag.

By the time I take them out of the bag, they have been spoiled because I pressed my back against the bag when I was travelling.

What would I call the fruit (or the state they are in)?

The closest word I came up with was "squeeze", but it does not apply here.


1 Answer 1


You could say squashed, squished, mushed, or bruised (such as spots that appear on an apple where it has hit the ground).

  • 6
    +1 for bruised; I have a feeling that's the word the O.P. might be looking for, particularly if the bananas are imagined to look like these (or maybe this apple, or this peach).
    – J.R.
    Feb 25, 2013 at 21:39
  • 3
    Also pulped, and the resultant mess can be called pulp. Feb 25, 2013 at 23:37
  • 2
    @FumbleFingers It would have to be extreme crushing to be called pulped, I think. The other words don't imply such an extreme. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:27
  • Or you can say "smooshed". Dec 25, 2023 at 5:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .