"My marks are decreasing." Does that sound natural?

And when I want to indicate to a more severe decline: "My marks are plummeting."

What are other natural ways to say it?

1 Answer 1


I would say it depends on the type of English you're trying to speak and the level of formality you're trying to achieve.

  1. American (US) English speakers would probably use "grades" instead of "marks." Otherwise, "marks" is fine. Using "marks" instantly tells an American listener that you're speaking UK/British English. Whether that matters is up to you.
  2. "Decreasing" and "plummeting" are fairly formal words in most English-speaking dialects. In my opinion:
    • the most casual forms could be ["going down" and "really going down"].
    • Another slightly less casual way could be ["dropping/falling" and "sinking"].
    • If you're in a formal situation (e.g., writing a job application or something), ["decreasing" and "plummetting"] sound good to me!
  3. If you want to really show off, you can use some idiomatic phrases to express the severity of the decline, like "my {marks/grades} are taking a nose-dive!" :)

Source: native US English speaker, Bachelor's in linguistics

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .