Consider this hypothetical scenario:

I am holding a glass of juice, and as bet, I am supposed to drink it in one go.

I don't think "in one go" is a idiomatic phrase, can somebody recommend a similar phrase?

  • The expression down in one (mentioned in comments on the duplicate question) is described by Cambridge as 'UK informal'. May 19, 2022 at 9:26
  • to gulp it down is another way of saying this. May 19, 2022 at 9:32
  • @RonaldSole - I would understand gulp as meaning 'swallow in big mouthfuls', not necessarily 'all in one go'. May 19, 2022 at 9:43
  • @KateBunting I should not argue, although I might plead for a little latitude when small amounts and large gulps are concerned. (I once witnessed a fellow lift a litre bottle of brandy to his lips and pour the entire contents down his throat without pause in what might be described as an unbroken gulp!) May 19, 2022 at 10:03
  • 1
    in one go is definitely an idiomatic phrase.
    – stangdon
    May 19, 2022 at 11:44

1 Answer 1


One might say "chug" or "down". So:

I am holding a glass of juice, and I am supposed to chug/down it.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .