What are the houses called where you can buy food at fairs? Like the shops, are they called stalls? And what are other attractions in a fair called? Is fair even the right word or is adventure park more accurate?

  • 1
    Fairs and adventure parks are different things, which one are you talking about?
    – KillingTime
    May 15 at 19:22
  • 2
    The one, where you can buy almonds, win plush animals, go to ghost houses and ride rollercoasters. Which one is it and where is the difference?
    – magicphoenix
    May 15 at 19:24
  • 1
    In America, they're called "amusement parks" and there are a lot of them. It's a big country. Google maps will be happy to find "amusement parks near me" on your phone. Plus there are small moving ones called "carnivals" which set up for special occasions in parking lots or vacant fields, especially in the summer. May 15 at 19:28
  • 1
    I would probably say "vendors".
    – Hot Licks
    May 15 at 20:07
  • 2
    Although some of the answers to the other question can also serve as answers to this one, the question itself is hardly a duplicate of that other question: there is a difference between something like that being on the side of the road and being within a fair, and that may affect the acceptability of some answers. Voting to close something as a duplicate should be based on what the questions are: different questions can have the same answers and still be different questions.
    – jsw29
    May 16 at 15:47

2 Answers 2

  1. Concession Stand: noun US A stall or booth, typically selling food or inexpensive items, and operating within a larger business or commercial area. (Source - Lexico)

  2. A fair is a gathering of people to display or trade produce or other goods, to parade or display animals and often to enjoy associated "carnival or funfair entertainment." It is normally of the essence of a fair that it is temporary; some last only an afternoon while others may last as long as ten weeks. (Source - definitions.net).

  3. Amusement Parks are permanent installations.

  • 1
    @jsw29: I've added the source.
    – Justin
    May 15 at 20:30
  • @justin Appreciated.
    – Zan700
    May 16 at 2:36

I would say you can use stand, stall, or booth, also depending on what an attraction is like, exactly.

For example, I would probably expect a booth to have side walls/panels between which you stand, but perhaps a stall might not. The distinction is very slight and certainly not consistent: the words are mostly synonymous in the context of a fair, I think.

The word I'd probably use is stand but any of them would seem fine to me. Shooting you might also do at a gallery. A place where you sit in a moving seat may be called a ride.

You can see usage examples of all three words when you Google them.

The Wikipedia article on carnival also seems to use all three words.

  • In the U.S., the term "food kiosks" is sometimes used, as well.
    – Sven Yargs
    May 16 at 6:09

You must log in to answer this question.