In the context of photography what are some synonyms for "capturing". As in capturing a scene, an event, a moment, etc. My search in a thesaurus did not reveal anything I would consider applicable. I am trying to avoid repetition of the same word.
It depends on the context and the exact impression that is desired.
- One might simply use "photograph" as a verb:
He photographed Mt Fuji.
- One can use "took", short for "took a picture of" but be careful that it is not confused with the more commone meang of took that is ":stole" or carried away".
He took Eliza Shallcross in her role as Jane Eyre.
- In some cases one might used "memorialized".
She memorialized the occasion in a famous photo.
- One might use "recorded" when looking for a relatively neutral term
They recorded the event using a 35 mm camera.
- To emphasize that the image has been well-known over a long time, one might use "immortalized".
The excitement felt at the end of WWII was immortalized in this famous photo of a young woman kissing a sailor on the streets of New York.
- One might use "fix".
She fixed the moment the plane crashed in ehr award-winning photo.
Each of these has its merits, but none are in my view generally better than "captured". One or another may be best in a particular context.