As shown in picture below, can I say state 13 is in shaded-yellow circle?

enter image description here

  • 1
    It would have to be in the shaded yellow circle, and I at least wouldn't hyphenate. It's an uncommon identification system though (probably because it doesn't work very well), so there's probably nothing standard about how to refer to it. A better alternative might be the [cross-] hatched yellow circle, which would at least have given me a better idea of what I was looking for. – FumbleFingers Feb 27 '13 at 3:25
  • 1
    @FumbleFingers Yes, except it's not cross-hatched, only hatched. – StoneyB Feb 27 '13 at 3:26
  • 1
    @StoneyB: My eyes and/or monitor aren't good enough for me to be certain. Anyway, all I meant was at least hatch would tell me to look for some lines. Shaded in this context didn't really convey anything to me. – FumbleFingers Feb 27 '13 at 3:29
  1. The term shaded-yellow would mean that the yellow has been shaded, not the circle.

  2. Circle 13 is not shaded (regardless of what your graphics program calls it!) but hatched. Shaded is used for a darker effect like a shadow (both 12 and 13 are in fact shaded in yellow) or, if you push it, a yellow of a different shade.

  3. If you have to name its ornament, the hatched yellow circle is your best bet; BUT...

  4. Since you've labeled the circle '13' which your question suggests is unique and your actual topic, why not refer to the circle simply by number?

  5. <rant> I'm no graphics designer, but the designers in my shop would expel me if I allowed that hatching to go undeplored. It's entirely too busy and makes the number hard to read, especially on a lower-resolution monitor. Use a different color instead. That will not only look better, it will render this entire discussion of what to call it irrelevant. </rant>


I agree with what others have said: Circle #13 is hatched, and, even for Circle #12, I don't like shaded-yellow as an adjective.

For #12, you could call it shaded, you could call it yellow, but please don't call it shaded-yellow. If you really want a compound adjective, I would recommend yellow-shaded before shaded-yellow.

One other thought (this one is not absolute, but I think it's worth mentioning): I'd expect a shaded circle to have a grayish tint; when the shade color is a bright yellow, you could call it a highlighted circle instead.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.