enter image description here

According to my study, the part between 2 nodes of a bamboo is called "internode". But there is no such word in dictionaries.

What do you say that part in everyday English?

Can we call it "a bamboo segment"?

For example, a farmer had to find a bamboo with 100 nodes but he couldn't find it. So, he cried and a good spirit appeared and the good spirit said:

"give me 100 bamboo segments and I will turn them into a bamboo with 100 nodes"

Can the good spirit say that in everyday English?

or does he have to say "give me 100 bamboo internodes and I will turn them into a bamboo with 100 nodes"?

  • an average English speaker would not know what bamboo "segments" or "nodes" or "internodes" are. You would have to define/explain whichever terms you choose.
    – Esther
    Commented Aug 9, 2022 at 17:40
  • Do you mean that given one bamboo trunk with 100 nodes, the 'good spirit' can grow another 100 plants, each with 100 nodes? Commented Aug 9, 2022 at 19:22
  • @WeatherVane, no, I mean the spirit will join 100 internodes together to form a bamboo with 100 nodes
    – Tom
    Commented Aug 10, 2022 at 0:20

1 Answer 1


We don't have a specific word for this in everyday English. But "segment" would probably be understood.

Culm, node and internode are technical biological terms. Node has a general meaning, so might be understood.

So I'd say "give me 100 pieces of bamboo and I'll make a bamboo trunk with 100 segments.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .