The visit won't be very complicated, but to apply for your SIN (Social Insurance number) you'll need to bring your: confirmation of permanent or other proof of status in Canada like a work or study permit, and your passport.


I'm not sure what got you confused here. I think the body itself is self-explanatory. Proof of Status is a person's legal standing/status with which he/she resides in a country. For students, it's study permit/visa. For working professionals, it's work permit/visa. Similarly there can be temporary resident visa for tourists and visitors, and so on.

Here's the definition of Proof of Status from the US Embassy in Laos

Proof of Status - This term refers to the legal status of the petitioner in the United States. A petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, or a lawful permanent resident currently living in the U.S., if he or she wants to bring another immigrant to the U.S. Therefore, a petitioner must present a U.S. passport or a valid green card--residency must not have expired (which may occur if a petitioner has been out of the U.S. for over 6 months). Appropriate evidence is necessary.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.