Say a man is blindfolded and is trying to get to a place. He can not see anything and he has to move by feeling things around him with his hands.

I found this verb "grope".

For example, He groped his way up the staircase in the dark.

Is "grope" a common word to express that meaning in everyday English? or do we have a more common term for it?


1 Answer 1


'Grope' is the most usual way of expressing this, also we can say that someone 'feels their way in the dark'. We usually only use these when someone who is able to see is unable to do so temporarily, for example because it has suddenly become dark, or they have been blindfolded. People who are blind are usually good at finding their way around.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .