What do you call those flat pieces of baked dough with cream in between that make up a cake? In Russian, we would say "корж" (singular)

enter image description here

  • 1
    I DV'd because you already had an obvious answer ("layer") in your title and didn't explain why that word wouldn't work. You also didn't indicate any research (for example, looking up "корж" in a Russian-English dictionary). If you amend the question, I'd be happy to change my vote. Aug 30, 2022 at 22:00
  • 1
    @MarcInManhattan - корж just means 'cake'. Aug 30, 2022 at 22:13
  • @MichaelHarvey I wonder why he said it meant the flat pieces inside, then. Aug 31, 2022 at 0:35
  • I note that the stuff inbetween is called "frosting" in English. Or else we usually put different stuff between the layers
    – Mary
    Aug 31, 2022 at 0:40
  • Google image search really helps in such a situation.
    – user138449
    Aug 31, 2022 at 1:21

3 Answers 3


Those would be called "cake layers".

For example, this article on How to Build a Layered Cake includes the following instructions:

To assemble, first place a cooled/chilled cake layer top side-down on a cardboard round

Another article advises on how to get perfect flat cake layers.


They are called layers. That type of cake is often called a layer cake. The material of the layers, separated by creamy stuff, is called 'cake', which can be used an an uncountable or mass noun.

Cake is:

a sweet food made from flour, eggs, fat, and sugar mixed together and baked

Cake (Cambridge Dictionary)

enter image description here

More generally, a layer is:

a level of material ... that is different from the material above or below it

Layer (Cambridge Dictionary)


They are tiers:

AHD tier n.

  1. One of a series of rows placed one above another: a stadium with four tiers of seats.
  2. A rank or class. tr. & intr.v. tiered, tier·ing, tiers To arrange (something) into or rise in tiers: tier a wedding cake; balconies that tier upward.

(as Esther points out, tiered cakes usually have smaller upper layers.)

Or just layers.

AHD layer

a. A single thickness of a material covering a surface or forming an overlying part or segment: a layer of dust on the windowsill; a cake with four layers.

  • 3
    "tiers" would generally be when each layer is smaller in diameter than the one above it; "layers" would be the kind of cake in the OP
    – Esther
    Aug 30, 2022 at 21:55
  • Yes, you're right, searching on images shows tiered cakes having successive layers of decreasing diameters. Aug 31, 2022 at 0:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .