I am writing some program for publishing and I would like to ask you for a help.

I have two classes and I would like to give them preferably single word names:

  • One is for Publication / Magazine (name that denotes whole brand - every number ever printed)
  • Other is for a single number of some Magazine

So I have a question for native English speakers: What are most natural distinct English names for those two (all that I have in my head is Magazine for both cases)?

  • 1
    A formal (librarian's) word for a magazine is journal or periodical. Number is fine for a single edition, or you could use issue. Commented Sep 6, 2022 at 10:01
  • You can check out en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodical_literature for information on how the publishing industry talks about these things.
    – xyldke
    Commented Sep 6, 2022 at 10:03
  • [ +1 ] One is a [A] "Publication_Series / Magazine_Series / Periodical_Series" & the other is a [B] "Publication_Issue / Magazine_Issue / Periodical_Issue" , where the [A] object contains a collection of [B] objects. Highlighting "Series" versus "Issue" with a lot of variations.
    – Prem
    Commented Sep 6, 2022 at 10:20
  • Thanks for yours suggestions Commented Sep 9, 2022 at 7:26

1 Answer 1


When magazines are published, they are usually given some designation that serves as their unique code or number. It might be a number, or it could be a date. For example:

Volume 10. No. 2

Issue 12

March 1999

If you want to call the first class "Magazine" you could call the second class "Volume" or "Issue" or "MonthYear" -- something that corresponds to the way they are "numbered."

  • Thanks for your suggestion Commented Sep 9, 2022 at 7:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .