I was in a class of relative clauses and, out of context and in order to give an example, I said:

I know a man that he lives in London.

However my teacher said that using the 'that he' pronouns is wrong and they should be replaced by 'who'. Is that correct? Why? I found later that the 'that' pronoun could be used either with people or objects so now I can't understand what's wrong.

  • 1
    Your teacher is correct. He should be omitted, and who is better than that because the man is a person, not a thing. Sep 29, 2022 at 15:22
  • 1
    Note that in English, the inverted question mark ¿ is not used.
    – James K
    Jan 11, 2023 at 22:05
  • 1
    oops now you know what is my native language
    – tac
    Jan 12, 2023 at 0:52

1 Answer 1


Your teacher is right that "that he" is incorrect. It's incorrect because "that" is the subject of the relative clause, but so is "he", and there cannot be two subjects, so "he" is wrong.

These are the two correct options:

I know a man that lives in London.
I know a man who lives in London.

"Who" is usually preferred for people, but it's not a grammar rule.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .