Let's say William is performing worse and worse in his tests/exams recently, how do you describe this situation? Is it natural to use the word 'regress'?

William is regressing in his studies.

3 Answers 3


"regressing" isn't really an idiomatic and natural word that people use.

You could try:



Or the simple his grades are decreasing

  • I would never use "decreasing" on its own. It would have to be that his grades are decreasing, not that he is decreasing. But I wouldn't even use it then. Oct 1, 2022 at 15:35

Just as you put in your description, I would use either getting worse or not improving. If you're looking for a single word, it would probably be failing:

William, your grades are getting worse....

William, your grades are not improving...

William, you are failing.

These are only a few suggestions. There are many ways to say this.


It sounds as though his work is deteriorating. See https://www.dictionary.com/browse/deteriorate

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .