Imagine you sit with your friend near the fire. You don't talk much, you mostly drink your tea/smoke/stare at the fire. But sometimes you say a couple of words to your friend, or he/she - to you. You're both fine with that. You enjoy the moment.

What do you call this rare, but friendly communication in a verb?

I thought, to have a word will do, but that implies some serious conversation, as I've been told. Not what I mean.

Have a chat is not an option, since no chatting take place, just occasional words, and yet you speak to each other, and have some kind of conversation.

  • 1
    There isn't a word for it, as far as I know. You'd have to describe it in a phrase or two, like "We hung around the fire, content, with only the occasional comment here and there."
    – gotube
    Oct 1, 2022 at 21:45
  • 2
    Rare isn't the right word; it implies that you only very occasionally speak to your friend in life, not that you don't talk much on a particular occasion. You could say "We sat, mostly in companionable silence". Oct 2, 2022 at 7:43

2 Answers 2


No specical term that I can think of.

Informally you could say that you "hung out". This is a very imprecise expression meaning you were together (but it doesn't say what you did).

There are probably lots of multi-word expressions: you "shared some time together" or "relaxed by the fire with each other"


You may say "engaged in laconic persiflage", though it is not a common expression.

Laconic (Wiktionary) Using as few words as possible; pithy and concise.

Persiflage (Cambridge Dictionary) conversation that is funny and not serious.

Here is a link to YouTube laconic persiflage. And another link to BuffaloNews.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .