Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Visit Stack Exchange
English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Sign up to join this community
Anybody can ask a question
The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
I know that you use "have been to" instead of "have gone to" when you mention your past experience. But how about the case below?
- Italy was the first foreign country I went to.
- Italy was the first foreign country I had been to.
- Italy was the first foreign country I had gone to.
- Italy is the first foreign country I have been to.
- Italy is the first foreign country I have gone to.
You went to Italy several years ago and you are already back. It was your first trip abroad. Which one would describe the situation best?
asked Nov 18, 2022 at 0:51
1,07655 silver badges1717 bronze badges
You must log in to answer this question.