On some clothes, there are added wrinkle details for decoration, like in the picture below.

enter image description here

What do you call this kind of wrinkles on clothes for decoration?

1 Answer 1


frill • /fril/ • noun
a strip of gathered or pleated material sewn by one side onto a garment or larger piece of material as a decorative edging or ornament.

Synonyms and near-synonyms include ruffle, flounce, ruff, furbelow, jabot, peplum, flute, ruche, ruching, gather, tuck, fringe, purfle, pleat,...

  • Related: pleat ? Or not really?
    – BCLC
    Nov 25, 2022 at 4:01
  • Duly added, ty! (near- synonym! :) Nov 25, 2022 at 4:02
  • 1
    (I'd seen the word furbelow before, but I just assumed it was a facetious name for a type of merkin until it turned up in my googled "synonyms" list here! :) Nov 25, 2022 at 4:07
  • 1
    Pleats are sharp creases pressed into a skirt, not the loose unstructured frill shown here. (When I read the title, I was expecting the picture to show a pleated garment.) A jabot is attached at the throat and a peplum round the waist. Nov 25, 2022 at 9:49
  • @KateBunting: As I recall, pleat did cross my mind when I started my answer - but I knew that wouldn't be the "right" answer because, as you say, pleats are usually sharp creases, and OP specified wrinkles. I would have included it in my list of "and near-synonyms" without BCLC's prompting, if I'd consciously noticed it wasn't in the list as copied from the first thesaurus site I found. But I'm sure there are more terms, and I don't suppose all them have clear non-overlapping definitions even to professional couturiers... Nov 25, 2022 at 18:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .