I am sitting next to a waterspout along a building, then I hear some sound caused by water running through it.

What is that sound called in English?

According to my research,

to babble: [intransitive] to make the sound of water flowing over rocks, like a stream

Can "babble" be applied to water running through a pipe?

Or Do we have another common term for it?

Is it correct to say "Can you hear water babbling through the pipe"?

1 Answer 1


Much more normally, we would refer to it gurgling.

make a hollow bubbling sound like that made by water running out of a bottle:

I would not saying that "babbling" is wrong, but the connotation there is more of brooks and less of pipes.

  • 1
    Or of babies who can't talk yet, or people talking quickly and not clearly. The 'babbling brook' is a poetic metaphor. Commented Jan 12, 2023 at 9:17
  • @KateBunting when talking of water
    – Mary
    Commented Jan 12, 2023 at 13:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .