When somebody says "Be all right" with the implied meaning of "It will be all right" or, similarly, saying "Hope for us yet" with the implied meaning of "There is hope for us yet" how would you call such a phenomenon of omitting words and is there even a name for it in the linguistic circles?

  • What research have you done?
    – BillJ
    Jan 18, 2023 at 14:53
  • 1
    There is a phenomenon called diary drop in which subject pronouns are omitted: english.stackexchange.com/questions/80730/…
    – stangdon
    Jan 18, 2023 at 15:19
  • @stangdon diary drop is also a form of ellipsis? Jan 18, 2023 at 20:16
  • @MichaelMunta I think you could call it a form of ellipsis, yes.
    – stangdon
    Jan 19, 2023 at 15:15

1 Answer 1


Elliptical construction. This is a figure of speech where words are deliberately left out in a sentence but the meaning remains clear, it's often used in informal writing or speech to make it more concise and to the point.

Full: I ate steak, and Jennifer ate fish.

Elliptical: I ate steak, and Jennifer, [ate] fish.

Source of quotes: GrammarBook.com

  • 1
    When quoting other sources, you must cite them. Not citing them is plagiarism which is not accepted on this site. We have added a source to this one for you.
    – gotube
    Sep 23, 2023 at 3:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .