enter image description here

What do you call this little building in which a guard sits and lets people in and out of a company's premises and what is the name of that horizontal bar which he raises from inside of the building(unless ofc when it's manually operated)?

is the bar the same as:

A boom barrier, also known as a boom gate, is a bar, or pole pivoted to allow the boom to block vehicular or pedestrian access through a controlled point(Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_barrier)


As to definitions for the building, I only found these synonyms in a Polish-English dictionary Ling.pl

-watchman's lodge




When I googled these none of them matched the description although the guard room came close.

: a room occupied by a military guard during its term of duty (Merriam Webster)

: a room where military prisoners are confined (Merriam Webster)

The problem with these definitions is that they say "military guard" does this term extend to all guards in such a building?

  • 1
    In the UK, I'd call this a security booth, regardless of whether there is a physical barrier or not. I don't know what Americans would call it. Sorry. I'm not American.
    – Billy Kerr
    Jan 23, 2023 at 14:54
  • 1
    In the British military, a building where military prisoners are confined (and the military police are based) is called a guardroom (one word). They don't look like the picture. Jan 23, 2023 at 15:05
  • I pass a more elaborate/secure version of one of these quite frequently. No-one ever refers to the building by name, only by 'function' Coming/going through 'security', passing through the gate [even though it's a lifting barrier] "I spoke to Bob at security this morning", "Check in at security on your way in". Never any mention of a named place. Jan 25, 2023 at 12:41

2 Answers 2


In US English, I would probably call it a guard house, guard hut, or guard shack.

Room does not work because a room is part of a larger building that is divided into multiple rooms.

I would call the barrier simply a gate or a barrier. I've never heard the term "boom barrier", and it sounds like a specialist's technical term for it.


In British usage, such a small building is often called a 'kiosk', and they can be used for various purposes, often signified by a preceding word, such as 'security', 'entrance', 'retail', 'grocery', 'ticket', 'food', etc.

A movable bar across an entrance or exit to a building, car park, etc, is often called a 'barrier'.

enter image description here

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .