What's the natural way in English to express the idea that you are a child of a marriage, in which parents belong to different races?

  1. "I am a cross-cultural marriage kid."?

  2. "I am a cross cultural family kid."?

  3. "I am a biracial kid."?

  4. "I am a child from a biracial marriage."?

  • "Culture" is not the same as "race". If my father is Caucasian English and my mother Caucasian German I may still be a "cross cultural" kid. Jan 26, 2023 at 15:40

1 Answer 1


Mixed-race is the answer. In America, the term 'mixed' is often used. People say biracial, but that is used in more formal contexts, like doctors visits. Most people who are bi-racial would say "I'm mixed."

  • Thank you. Can you, please, also direct me in how to use it with the word 'family'? Can I, for example, say "I am a mixed family kid" or would it be better to say something like "I am from a mixed family"?
    – brilliant
    Jan 26, 2023 at 7:52
  • I'm not from a family with racially distinct parents, but I'd have thought most people who are wouldn't want to talk about their domestic circumstances in that way. People who have opposite-sex siblings don't say I come from a mixed sex family (Yeah, yeah - I know we all come from "mixed sex" parents! :) Jan 26, 2023 at 13:07
  • @brilliant "I'm from a family of different races". You wouldn't really use mixed here.
    – Elainor
    Jan 26, 2023 at 13:52
  • @FumbleFingers _ I am afraid I didn't quite get your point here.
    – brilliant
    Jan 26, 2023 at 14:13
  • @Elainor - I see. Thank you!
    – brilliant
    Jan 26, 2023 at 14:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .