This is the most confusing term

In the oxford dictionary, they distinguish between "packet", "package" and "sachet" in American and British English.

images of a "stick of" butter; “packet of” gum/biscuits/cookies/candy/chips (UK crisps) and

two sachets one of ketchup, and one of sugar

Note: the former in these pictures is in British English and the latter is in American English.

I am sure most of you might know snicker

image of a chocolate snickers bar

I am not sure if we say "I held the chocolate by its wrapper or packet or package or sachet"?

  • 1
    The candy is always called "Snickers"; it's a proper name, so it's always capitalized, and always plural.
    – stangdon
    Commented Feb 4, 2023 at 16:30
  • 1
    …and some of us are old enough to remember when it was still called Marathon ;)) Snickers always sounds like someone is laughing at it. Never worked for me as a name. Commented Feb 4, 2023 at 17:07

1 Answer 1


As a general rule, individual chocolate bars are described as having a wrapper whether it is vacuum-sealed, sealed with glue or just loosely wrapped. We describe such items as being individually wrapped.

A 'packet' tends to contain more than one item, such as a packet of crisps, biscuits, or mints.

A 'sachet' tends to contain an uncountable substance, such as sugar or sauce.

  • You are speaking for British English, aren't you?
    – Tom
    Commented Feb 5, 2023 at 2:34
  • @Tom yes I'm a native British English speaker. I'm aware of differences in US English in some of the packaging types in your image, but none that apply to the focus of your question which I understand to be the Snickers bar. Also, some differences exist because of different ways of packaging things rather than having different names for the same thing. In the UK, we don't sell butter in a long stick-shape so we don't say 'a stick of butter'. If we did sell it in that shape, we might!
    – Astralbee
    Commented Feb 5, 2023 at 12:55
  • American English would also use "wrapper" for a Snickers bar. (Incidentally, we would call it "a Snickers bar," not "a chocolate" or "a snicker.")
    – alphabet
    Commented Feb 7, 2023 at 6:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .