According to available information an element of a sink from which water flows is called A and the water from A is called B.

In BrE A=tap, B=tap water.

In AmE A=faucet, B=tap water.

Is that correct? An obvious question, can I say faucet water for the B in America?

Thank you.


1 Answer 1


No, even though faucet is more common than tap or spigot for the thing that water comes out of, we say tap water, not faucet water or spigot water.

And we do know what a tap is — in fact, we call the thing on a keg of beer a tap, and a bartender would say they have Guinness on tap, and not on faucet or on spigot.

  • 2
    Whereas faucet was unknown in the UK (as far as I know) until it started to be known from American films, and it is still hardly used.
    – Colin Fine
    Feb 12 at 14:05
  • But doesn't "tap water" come from a faucet? Isn't draught (draft) beer heard in the US?
    – Mari-Lou A
    Feb 12 at 14:38
  • @Mari-LouA: Yes, you can say beer on tap or beer on draft, and it is indeed called draft beer and not tap beer. We use faucet, spigot, or tap, although I think Faucet is most common. (maybe it depends on the region) for the thing in the kitchen. Feb 12 at 15:36
  • Which begs the question why is it "tap water" in both the UK and the US but in the kitchen the fixtures on a sink have a different name depending which part of the world you live?
    – Mari-Lou A
    Feb 12 at 15:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .