I the Oxford Dictionary, they say

a bit [singular] (especially British English) a short time or distance

Can you move up a bit?

The dictionary didn't say the equivalent expression in American English.

What is American equivalent of "Can you move up a bit"?

  • Merriam-Webster doesn't list this as a British usage, and even the entry you cite says "especially" not "exclusively", so you'd probably be fine using "a bit". Are you looking for a way of asking someone to move, rather than looking for an alternative to "a bit"?
    – Stuart F
    Feb 23, 2023 at 12:22
  • What "Oxford Dictionary" are you using?
    – Laurel
    Feb 23, 2023 at 12:25
  • 1
    It's perfectly understandable in American English too. I suppose you could also say "move up a little."
    – stangdon
    Feb 23, 2023 at 12:25

1 Answer 1


As the commenters note, this usage is also common in American English. There are plenty of other similar phrases that you could use in various contexts ("move up some," "move up a little," "move up like an inch"), but I see no reason to avoid "move up a bit."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .