I am talking about the specific gesture of waving an index to show disapproval to a kid, often accompanied with the sound "tss". Is there a word or an idiom for that?

  • 1
    I think you mean "index finger". We don't usually just call it an "index" by itself.
    – stangdon
    Apr 3, 2023 at 15:01

2 Answers 2


This gesture is called wagging your finger at someone. Cambridge defines it as:

If you wag your finger, you move it from side to side, often to tell someone not to do something.


The gesture of moving an index finger back and forth to express disapproval is usually called 'wagging a finger' or 'finger wagging'.

If you wag your finger, you shake it repeatedly and quickly from side to side, usually because you are annoyed with someone.

Wag (Collins Dictionary)

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .